More details are coming…
Society of St. Vincent de Paul – St. Francis Xavier Conference
The Society of St. Vincent de Paul would like to thank the generosity of the parishioners of St. Francis Xavier, St. John Bosco, St. Mark’s, Sacred Heart, the Knights of Columbus, the CWL, and the various foundations and companies that have made our fifth year in Brockville and area a great success. We have been able to continue to reach out to many families and people in need in Brockville, Prescott, and the surrounding area.
Total hot-line assistance calls received – 276
Adults served – 407
Children served – 301
Christmas Program – homes assisted – 35 (45 adults and 72 children)
Total assistance provided to the needy – $67,860.90
2018 has been another year of major accomplishments for our small group:
- Our home visitation program continues to reach out to individuals and families in need of assistance for food, utilities, rent, and even emergency dental care. We are averaging 5 calls per week and have experienced peaks of 16;
- During home visits and at other times, we have provided advice and guidance on such matters as alternative food sources, financial counseling, employment opportunities, and referrals to local agencies and resources;
- Our Weekender Program for Kids (WP4K) finished the 2017/18 school year off with the program expanded into 14 schools and 207 children participating. During the school year we provided over 6,900 weekend food packages to children who might have otherwise gone hungry on the weekend. Since the beginning of WP4K we have handed out over 15,000 weekend food packages. A special thanks to First National Management, the owners of the Brockville Shopping Centre. Due to their generosity we have a free space that allows us to store and package the weekend food packages. Thanks also to the Brockville Superstore for their continuing support of our program and assistance with the grocery orders.
- We continued our Christmas family support program and assisted 35 families;
- Assisted 10 needy children, in conjunction with Making Play Possible, Jump Start,1000 Islands Kayaking, The Brockville Yacht Club, The Brockville Rowing Club, Broadway Dance & Gymnastics, and The YMCA play organized sports and attend summer camps;
- Continued our transit assistance program;
- Visitations to nursing homes and hospitals; and
- Our serving area encompasses Lansdowne (west), Toledo (north), and Cardinal (east).
Our administration expenses for the year compared to donation revenue was just 5.2%. As an all volunteer organization with very low cost of assistance delivery expenses, i.e., no office rental fees or salaries, we are able to keep costs to the absolute minimum.