On September 08th – Boardwalk Dental held its Charity Day and chose the SSVP Weekender Program for Kids as its charity. They donated another $13,217.13 a special thanks to Dr. Peter Culp, Dr. Pat Keeling and their whole staff for their generous support. It is most appreciated.
In August – we received a matching support grant of $25,000.00 from the Carolyn Sifton Foundation for the Weekender Program for Kids. This will enable us to feed all the kids registered in the program in Brockville for the 2017-2018 school year. A wonderful and generous donation. Thank you on behalf of all the children.
12th annual Charity Day
On Friday September 8, 2017 Boardwalk Dental Care will be hosting its 12th Annual Charity Day. This community leader is working with St. Vincent de Paul Society raising money for the Weekenders Program. This is such a worthy cause.
We look forward to seeing you on September 8th!
Butcher Shop BBQ Fundraiser
Date : Staurday August 5th
Time 11:00 AM to 2:30 PM
Location:595 Stewart Blvd. Brockville, ON K6V 7H2
Located on the corner of Laurier Blvd. & Stewart Blvd.
Across from Home Hardware
Octoberfest Sausages $4.00
Hot Dogs $3.00
Soft Drinks, Ice Tea & Water $1.00
All proceeds benefit SSVP Brockville programs
- March 2017: Benson Public School in Cardinal is the last school we are welcoming for the 2016/17 school year. That brings the total number of students in the Weekender Program to162 students!
- February 2017: We welcomed Commonwealth (Brockville) and St. Mark’s (Prescott)
- November 2016: We welcomed St. Joseph’s in Toledo.
- September 2016: We started the school year with 56 students at 4 area schools, adding Wellington Elementary (Prescott) to our 3 returning schools.
- December 2015 – June 2016: We started the Weekender Program with 16 students at one school. We built up to 47 students over 3 area schools ( St. Francis Xavier, St. Mary & Prince of Wales, all in Brockville) by the end of the 2015/16 school year.
- From December 2015 to June 30, 2017, SSVP will have packed 4,200 food packages for elementary school children in our area.
- November 2017: The Weekender program for kids is partnered with 13 elementary schools across Leeds and Grenville.
The Society of St. Vincent de Paul would like to thank the generosity of the parishioners of St. Francis Xavier, St. John Bosco, St. Mark’s, Sacred Heart, the Knights of Columbus, and various foundations and companies that have made our third year in Brockville a great success. In our third year of operation and, we have been able to continue to reach out to many families and people in need both in Brockville, Prescott, and the surrounding area.
Total calls received – 272
Assistance provided to the needy – $57,605.63
Adults served – 306
Children served – 216
Homes assisted – 38
Adults assisted – 58
Children assisted – 93
Weekenders assistance – $11,094.54
2016 has been a year of major accomplishments for our small group:
- Our home visitation program continues to grow in demand with assistance for food, utilities, rent, and even emergency dental care. We are averaging 8 calls per week and have experienced peaks of 16;
- During home visits and at other times, we have provided advice and guidance on such matters as alternative food sources, financial counseling, employment opportunities, and referrals to local agencies and resources;
- Our Weekenders Program has made great progress and expanded to 5 schools and 64 students. We are planning to add an additional 2 schools and the potential for as many as 80 more students. In 2016 we provided approximately 2,465 food packets to children who would otherwise go hungry during the weekend;
Due to the generosity of First National Management, the owners of the Brockville Shopping Centre, we now have, at no charge to St. Vincent de Paul, office space that allows us to store, package, and distribute Weekenders food packages;
- Continued our Christmas family support program;
- Help more children, in conjunction with Making Play Possible and 1000 Islands Kayaking, play organized sports in the community where their families cannot afford the costs themselves;
- Send 2 groups of up to 10 to kayak camp next summer here in Brockville;
- Send a number of children to overnight camps such as Camp Hyanto, and the Kingston Y Camp;
- Continued our transit assistance program;
- Visitations to nursing homes and hospitals; and
- Our serving area now encompasses Gananoque in the west, Toledo in the north, and Cardinal in the east.
Our administration expenses for the year totaled $1,023.82 (mobile phone hot line, bank charges, and conference liability insurance). Therefore, the total administrative cost of delivering all these services is just 1.77% of all expenditures.