The Society of St. Vincent de Paul would like to thank the generosity of the parishioners of St. Francis Xavier, St. John Bosco, St. Mark’s, Sacred Heart, the Knights of Columbus, and various foundations and companies that have made our third year in Brockville a great success. In our third year of operation and, we have been able to continue to reach out to many families and people in need both in Brockville, Prescott, and the surrounding area.
Total calls received – 272
Assistance provided to the needy – $57,605.63
Adults served – 306
Children served – 216
Homes assisted – 38
Adults assisted – 58
Children assisted – 93
Weekenders assistance – $11,094.54
2016 has been a year of major accomplishments for our small group:
- Our home visitation program continues to grow in demand with assistance for food, utilities, rent, and even emergency dental care. We are averaging 8 calls per week and have experienced peaks of 16;
- During home visits and at other times, we have provided advice and guidance on such matters as alternative food sources, financial counseling, employment opportunities, and referrals to local agencies and resources;
- Our Weekenders Program has made great progress and expanded to 5 schools and 64 students. We are planning to add an additional 2 schools and the potential for as many as 80 more students. In 2016 we provided approximately 2,465 food packets to children who would otherwise go hungry during the weekend;
Due to the generosity of First National Management, the owners of the Brockville Shopping Centre, we now have, at no charge to St. Vincent de Paul, office space that allows us to store, package, and distribute Weekenders food packages;
- Continued our Christmas family support program;
- Help more children, in conjunction with Making Play Possible and 1000 Islands Kayaking, play organized sports in the community where their families cannot afford the costs themselves;
- Send 2 groups of up to 10 to kayak camp next summer here in Brockville;
- Send a number of children to overnight camps such as Camp Hyanto, and the Kingston Y Camp;
- Continued our transit assistance program;
- Visitations to nursing homes and hospitals; and
- Our serving area now encompasses Gananoque in the west, Toledo in the north, and Cardinal in the east.
Our administration expenses for the year totaled $1,023.82 (mobile phone hot line, bank charges, and conference liability insurance). Therefore, the total administrative cost of delivering all these services is just 1.77% of all expenditures.